Total Pageviews

There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

A RETURN TO THE CYCLADES AND CRETE

Add to Technorati FavoritesI usually try to go to the island of NAXOS when I'm visiting Greece, because it's my favorite island.  This year is no exception, however I've decided to also stop at PAROS.  Aside from a weekend a long time ago when I went to babysit a friend's little boy while she performed at a taverna, I've never spent time on that popular island. I've heard so much about this island from other people, I figured it was time to explore it myself.

 PAROS
 I've only got a couple of days booked on Paros but it should be enough to see a few of the sights although I have quite a list of options.  An interesting thing is that the town of Parikia where I will be staying used to be a Minoan city back in the 1400 BCs.  Later, in 338 BC it was taken over by King Philip II of Macedonia (Alexander's father), followed by the Romans.

There's a wide choice of things to see and beautiful beaches to visit so my little stop-over should prove to be really interesting. I'll probably wish I'd booked more than two days there!

From Paros, I will go to Naxos which is very nearby.  As always, I'm heading for Maragas Camping, and like last year I'm going to stay in one of the bed tents.  These are quonset-hut type 'tents' with a bed and electricity inside and lots of room to walk around.  I found it very comfy and it's cheap!
 NAXOS, Maragas Beach

 Spectacular Naxos Sunset

The beach there is just spectacular and there are some wonderful little tavernas along the beach where you can sit and watch the sunset. Besides that you can take the bus into town and there's lots to see including  the Venetian Castle, the Portala (doorway of the Temple of Apollo) and many other things. Naxos has a very interesting history and I've been on the round-the-island tour a number of times. It's a big island, with mountains and lots of greenery as well as those gorgeous beaches. It's the island where, in the myths, Theseus landed with Ariadne, the princess of Knossos after they had left Crete when the volcanic explosion on Santorini drove them all away.  Unfortunately Ariadne ran off with the celebrants of Dionysos and that's the last Theseus saw of her. This time when I'm there I must remember to visit that particular sanctuary and see if I can conjur Ariadne's spirit.
 MARAGAS BEACH CAMPING


Last year when I was on Naxos I wrote a lot of poems while on the beach and one of them was about Ariadne.I am hoping the Muse is with me this time too.  I find if a very inspiring island!

 IRAKLION, CRETE

 IRAKLEON, MOROSINI FOUNTAIN


From Naxos I take the ferry to Crete. I'll stop a couple of days in Iraklion in order to see the sights there which will include the Palace of Knossos famous from  Minoan times.  There is so much to see in Iraklion and other parts of Crete that I may decide to extend my time there because it's worth spending time. I've visited Crete on a couple of other occasions but not for a few years, so it's going to be fun to return. 
 THE PALACE OF KNOSSOS

 MINOAN ARTIFACTS AND PAINTINGS

Eventually I'll head back to Athens and then a lot of new adventures will take place.  Among those I am hoping that I can do some book readings as the second volume of SHADOW OF THE LION is supposed to be published in October. 

NOTE:  photos of Paros and Irakleon  from Wikipedia

39 comments:

Shivender Kumar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
be free Financial said...

Hey nice post man! Thanks for incredible info.

see this

Linda said...

Wonderful post and beautiful photos. Thank you so much for sharing.

Resort Reservations said...

Hi, It’s really nice to visit on your Blog. You have well maintain your Blog. Which is really appreciable according to me. Thanks you so much for a great Blog & great post too

Same Day Taj Mahal Tour by car said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Farewizards said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sheila Abaca said...

Wow! Amazing.

Thế giới Phim Online said...

Oh my god. Wowww. Amazing
Thế giới phim hoạt hình | anime vietsub online | anime mới hot | Thế giới anime hay tại Xem86.Com

Singh DTC said...

This is wow. Great to find it.

Andrew Louis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hải Đặng said...

This information is impressive; I am inspired with your post writing style & how continuously you describe this topic. After reading your post, thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel happy about it and I love learning more about this topic..
hoa lan ho diep | civil engineering outsourcing | Civil engineering services

Mahesh Pandey said...

Thanks for sharing such a great article and it's helpful for everyone. Great Post! accra hotel list

Anonymous said...

So nice article
how742.blogspot.com

Guru Of Tips said...

Click to read how to get million visitor in just 12 months http://www.guruoftips.com

Travel Mosafer said...

I am really envious while sitting here and commenting. I wish I could travel more.

Schwag Monsta said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kevin Alex said...

Very informative post. I was looking for information about this topic and this post really helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing.

Chennai To Tirupati Car Rental

intimateasia.it said...

What a beautiful stucture in here!

Alice Abner said...

Beautiful scenes.Nice Post!
RIU Coupon

Chandan Kumar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chandan Kumar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Swathi said...

Nice photographs and good information in this Blog

nagarkottrekking said...

So nice of you to share this article. Very simple, clear and informative. Looking for more form you.
regards,
John

House Movers London said...

Nice article, thanks for sharing.
Long Distance Removals by House Movers London

vipin said...

it is really good post,after reading it i would really love to go for trekking.

Rajasthan Tour Package said...

It was wonderful to read your experience about the journey. Great advise and Guide.This was the most popular place ....nice post,I really want to go there Travel Agent in Delhi

Chetan Sharma said...

Thanks for sharing such a nice blog. It is really useful to me and all people. One think in my mind came while reading that it is not wasting of time.
hotel booking Nicosia

Thu Ha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wynn Bexton said...

Thanks for the comments but I'd really appreciate it if people would not just use this site as a way of free advertising for their businesses. If you want to run ads contact me and I will be happy to arrange a paid ad on my site. Thanks.

cape town cheap flights said...

really i like this post specially amazing images thank you pro

Chandan Kumar said...

Thanks for the information!
We also provide Taj Mahal Tour Departing Saturdays at best price.

Swathi said...

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful information in your blog.I really locved reading and the images are awesome in your blog. Parveen Travels

Luton Airport Parking said...

Amazing post, thanks for sharing.
luton airport parking meet and greet

DaisyParker said...

Thank you for sharing that post.

Tempo Traveller in Delhi NCR said...

Wow.. very good blog, Nice pictures and very informative.. We are also in deals in
Tempo traveller in delhi
, Providing our Service Across Delhi NCR India like Tempo traveller in gurgaon
Tempo traveller in noida
, Tempo traveller in faridabad,Tempo traveller in
Ghaziabad

Mary said...

Can't wait to feel first summer sun shines. Your post reminded me about our holidays

SabrinaGreen said...

Thanks for sharing such an amazing post. Heathrow Terminal 4 Parking

Spicy Bulletins said...

Really a great post, i'm definitely gonna follow this steps, Really appreciate this....Thanks!

Free Guest Posting Sites

Brooke Higgins said...

Nice sharing. cheap parking Luton