Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2005

READY, SET, GO!

"Where are you going, my pretty maid?"
"I'm going to London, Sir," she said.
Nursery Rhyme

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson 1850-1894

The bags are packed (believe it or not we are travelling light -- more or less!) I've got the afternoon to relax now, before we head for the airport and our 9.30 pm flight to London.

I've been to London countless times before and it's still one of my favorite cities. Just to wander about there is full of wonderful, amazing sights. We're going to spend 3 days there with our friend M.J. and that will include a first for me: a night at the New Globe Theatre to see "The Tempest". Ingrid has never been to Europe, though she lived in Brazil for some time, so this will be a thrill for her and a lot of fun for me showing her the sights.

I was thinking today of how, as much as I love the serenity and solitude of the countryside and islands, I do love cities. And I started to list a few that I am especially fond of, and others which I also enjoyed but would like to see more of. London, Cardiff, Edinburgh
Paris and Barcelona, Mexico City where I've only had quick trips through. I felt at home in Havana when I was there last December. Once upon a time before I went to Europe, I left my heart in San Francisco and then there was that amazing trip to New York which totally changed my life.
And then, one day, I went to Greece and fell in love with Athens. And one week from today, I'll return there. My city!

So our journey begins.
"The longest part of the journey is said to be the passing of the gate."
Marcus Terentius Varro 116-27 B.C. "On Agriculture (De Re Rustica)


"Pussy cat, Pussy cat, where have you been?"
"I've been to London to visit the Queen."
"Pussy cat, Pussy cat, what did you do there?"
"I frightened a little mouse under her chair!" Nursery Rhyme

What a grand way to celebrate the Victoria Day weekend!

Stay tuned! Next stop LONDON TOWN!



1 comment:

M said...

Have a great time. I look forward to reading all about your trip...! Bon Voyage.