Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 23, 2009

MY BIRTHDAY ON THE HILL OF THE NYMPHS, ATHENS

HERE WE ARE, THE WHOLE GANG, AT MY BIRTHDAY PARTY

JUNE 6, 2009 CELEBRATING MY BIG BIRTHDAY ON THE HILL OF THE NYMPHS.

In all the times I've lived in Athens, we've always had our favorite sunset picnic spot. So this year, because it was my very special Big Birthday, I wanted to celebrate it here. And because it was special, I invited friends from Canada to join me and my Athens friends. My sister Jean and niece Debra came as well as my friend Shong who brought along her friend Louisa who works in Kiev. Anna Britt came from Norway and had a friend of hers along, and Patrick came from Germany. The Athens friends were Christina, Dinaz, Andreas and Ove, a Danish archaeologist. Mike, the English artist and his Greek lady friend arrived a bit later. So it was quite the multicultural group.

The Hill of the Nymphs is located just behind the Pnyx where the ancient
Assembly met. It was the location of many homes of affluent and famous Greek politicians and generals such as Themistokles, Miltiades and others. There is a panorama view of Athens out to Pireaus and the outlying islands, Salamis and Aegina. And it is surrounded by other Hills, Filopapos and of course it is directly below the Acropolis. Talk about a memorable spot for a birthday party!


THE NYMPHS ON THE HILL

We all brought food including two delicious pizzas and lots of wine. We watched the sunset, and then a full moon rose over Filopapos Hill. Truly an auspicious omen! The night was full of fun and magic and good vibes. My friends are a blessing and it was so special having my sister, niece and Shong come all the way from Canada to help me celebrate.

After leaving the Hill we made our way back to Hatzichristou Street to continue the party at our favorite hangout the "To Kati Allo" Taverna. And the next day we all planned to meet there again for a group tour of all Athen's ancient spots.


FULL MOON OVER FILOPAPOS HILL

Add to Technorati Favorites
Posted by Picasa

No comments: