Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 16, 2007

LIVING THE LIFE, THE ZOE

NOTE; THE LAST TWO BLOGS WERE ACCIDENTLY POSTED ON MY 'LIVING THE WRITER'S LIFE' BLOG SPOT SO PLEASE READ THEM THERE.
"The Sunset Picnic" and "Pilgrimage to Delphi"

June 6/07 The Assembly decided today that it's exhasting tramping about archeological sites so tomorrow we're taking a boat to Aegina, a short voyage (like going to the Gulf Islands for any of you who live on the Coast). And we're going to spend a leisure day lying on the beach relaxing.

Today we trooped off to the icon painter's workshop in Monastiraki, an amazing collection of the most beauitufl icons we've seen (and we've looked at many!) We all came out of there laden with purchases and made our way over to my old haunts by the Tower of the Winds where the Poulakis Taverna used to be the main hangoug when I first started visiting Greece in '79 and later whenI came to live here in '83. The Poulakis is nolger there but my favorite waiter Ari is, and still works next door at the
acroppolis Taverna. He's always happy to see me -- we've had a long aquaintance -- so last nightand again today I went there with my friends.
"Agai mou!Koukla, s'agapow!" Big hugs and kisses and a very warm welcome. We decided to use more of our Acropolis tickets to go to visit the Agora nearby. The agora, of coure, being the ancient market and meeting place. I am very familiar with this area. On my ver first visit to Greece in '79 when I stopped out of my little hotel Tempi on eolou St. I had no idea where I was going or where I was, in fact, and just let my feet take me wherever they wanted to.

I turned a corner and suddenly there I was, in the ancient agora, and as if a film fell from my eyes, I could see it exactly as it had been. A real deja vu experience. And I just stood there, awe struck and burst into tears.

I've been back so many times and in fact spent hours there on my last trip tracking the footsteps of Phokion, the military general in Athens in 318 BC, because a good part of a recent chapter of "Shadow" takes place there. I always feel as if it's familiar territory, like I was there long ago, so no matter how often I return it's like going back to a very special place in my memory.

We trudged around awhile but my poor feet were suffering as I'd only worn sandals. So we headed out of plaka to find an icecream shop where we sat awhile to rest and refresh ourselves.

Tonight, after a visit to the web cafe, I'm just sitting in the courtyard drinking wine an activity that I enjoy as much as anything. All part of the life here.

Tomorrow we're off to Aegina for a day on the beach. I've been longing for a swim so I'm looking forward to this little break in all the action.

NEXT: A DAY IN THE SUN

No comments: