Total Pageviews

Thursday, September 13, 2007

BACK TO ATHENS


We traveled by bus from Lefkada to Athens. This is the beautiful bridge constructed across the Gulf of Corinth to Patras.

"Fix your eyes on the greatness of Athens as you have it before you day by day,
fall in love with her, and whenyou feel her great, remember that this greatness
was won by men with courage, with knowledge of their duty and with a sense of honor in action."


Thucydides 460- 400 BC "Funeral Oration of Pericles"

The Parthenon

I have had a love affair with Athens since my first visit there in 1979. I grew to love her more while I lived there in the '80's. She has become my second home. So each time I return, it is a returning 'home'.
View of Plaka from the Acropolis

I used to live just down there, below the west flank of the Acropolis on Vironos Street, named for Lord Byron who once used to stay at the little monastary at the end of the road.



Lycebettos

"Bright and violet crowned and famed in song,
bulwark of Greece, famous Athens, divine city."
Pindar 518-438 BC fragment

My friend and I stayed in Athens for a few days then set off for Mykonos because she wanted to see a Cycladic Island.
You can read all the details of our magnificent journies in Greece in my previous blogs.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: